Safari Guest Farm
Dear Friends and Touroperators of Namibia,
As you may have heard the Ministry of Environment and Tourism in Namibia has gazetted No 7912 new regulations on keeping of large carnivores in Namibia 28.9.2022.
We at Duesternbrook GF have been the first ones doing our Cheetah and Leopard Drives now for well over 30 years. I think we had a good reputation seeing we never had an accident or anything similar or close. But thats how it is. From our view some regulations to keep large carnivores make sense BUT the killing part reads as follows:
A person who keeps large carnivore in captivity in terms of regulation 2 may not
1. drive through enclosures for tourism purposes
2. allow any person to enter the enclosure of such large carnivore during feeding or for any tourist viewing
New rules have somewhere an origin about someone not being happy, but we have never been consulted to discuss what can be done to adapt the rules. Fact is: we have to follow the new rules.
Seeing the new regulations do not provide to us any grace period we have to implement the change with immediate effect.
We really regret such a new regulation with no time for any adaption. We hope you understand that this change is not within our control as we must abide by the law.
All our other activities will stay the same and we will offer one of the other activities to compensate for the “cheetah and leopard drive” which will be either
1. another ( second) game drive as early morning drive
2. an early morning scenic mountain drive or
3. horse riding
4. other new activities might follow.
We are sure that Duesternbrook will stay a destination to enjoy pristine nature and adventures not to be missed.
Point of View
New luxury accommodation extention 11 km from farm house called Point Of View.
Stunning view, overlooking pristine nature with beautiful sun rises and sun sets.
Main House (Lodge)
For the individual traveller we offer guest rooms in carefully renovated buildings.
All guest rooms have comfortable double beds and ensuite bathroom with solar heated showers.
Farm in Namibia
Düsternbrook is the first guest farm in Namibia, only 45 min from Windhoek (new highway A1 direction Etosha, exit D1499/Okapuka). Our guest farm is perfect for your first or last days in Namibia. On our traditional family owned safari and guest farm (since 1962) overnight and day visitors are welcomed alike. We are open all day and the whole year around.
Historical farm house
The historical old guest farm in Namibia, was built in colonial style and out of natural stone, is nestled at the foot of the Khomas Highland Mountains and the surrounding African savannah. Before 1908 the area was called ”Otjiho- rongo“ (the place of the kudu). The ranch was situated on the old ox wagon road which formed the main supply route from the coast (Walfish bay) to the inland, called Bay road.
Private wildlife reserve
Our main attractions are the unique Leopard and Cheetah Drives ”Cats Unlimited“ in a spectacular setting. Furthermore you can enjoy a light lunch, a game drive, a scenic mountain drive in the morning, horse riding with game viewing and also different well-signed hiking trails.
On our guest farm we have an abundant diversity of more than 15 wildlife species, such as giraffe, mountain- and plain zebra, oryx, kudu, the rare sable antilope, cape eland, waterbuck, baboon, steenbok, cheetah, leopard and even Hippo.
- It is a guest farm (ranch), with breathtaking views, that has achieved several awards, including the 2015 Eco Award. We are constantly improving our service, we offer you good value for your money, and we are the best choice for the independent traveller.
- We offer you a very good cheetah and leopard sightseeing tours based on 30 years of experience. We get very good feedback from our clients.
- Close to Windhoek (50km, on the new A1 direction Etosha, Exit D1499/Okapuka) and the International Airport (90km).
- Centrally situated to all tourist attractions in Namibia.
- We offer you an interesting combination of different attractions and activities: a game drive, leopard and cheetah viewing and a scenic mountain drive into the Khomas Hochland with the chance of seeing the seldom-seen Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra.
- Well-marked walking trails, horseback rides with game viewing and a rich birdlife. Can you imagine seeing a giraffe on horseback from 10 or 20 meters or even closer?
- We have a beautifully situated old farm house with its historic ambience, family atmosphere and a fantastic view overlooking the riverbed and drinking spot for the game.
- We have a large swimming pool with palm trees and a newly renovated thatched lapa with a small bar and game-viewing deck also overlooking the riverbed.
- As a visitor to a guest farm, you support the local community (economical) and support the nature conservation program. The natural wildlife and endangered species need your support. Any additional support you can give to endangered species through a donation.
- Last but not least: At Düsternbrook Guest Farm you can expect a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and our individual attention lets you feel at home.