Safari Guest Farm
Dear Friends and Tour Operators of Namibia,
As you may know, the Ministry of Environment and Tourism in Namibia recently introduced new regulations (No. 7912) regarding the keeping of large carnivores in captivity. At Düsternbrook GF, we have been offering cheetah and leopard tours for over 35 years and are proud to have maintained an excellent safety record during this time.
While we believe that some of the regulations regarding the keeping of large carnivores make sense, in our view, others do not make sense and cannot be scientifically justified, given our extensive empirical experience over 35 years. Therefore, we are concerned that certain aspects of these new rules may have a negative impact on our business and jobs, especially after the Corona disaster, which may not be a wise decision. In particular, we are no longer allowed to drive into the enclosure for tourism purposes or allow visitors to enter the enclosure of large carnivores during feeding or viewing. Although this is allowed, even with an open car, in all major parks in Africa, including Namibia. The motivation for introducing these new regulations was not discussed with us nor were we consulted as the longest experienced professionals.
We regret the impact of these changes on our operation. However, we will comply with the new regulations as soon as a specific implementation timetable is provided to us. Currently, we continue to offer our leopard tours, as all our cheetahs have died due to old age.
In addition to our leopard and hippo tours, we are pleased to offer you another new activity, Sky Unlimited, which is a wildlife viewing tour followed by a ride to a mountain peak with a unique 360-degree view and a sundowner with snacks and drinks of your choice. We continue to offer early morning panoramic drives, normal game drives, and safari rides.
We are confident that Düsternbrook will remain a destination for those seeking pristine nature and exciting adventures. Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely, Johann Vaatz
- It is a guest farm (ranch), with breathtaking views, that has achieved several awards, including the 2015 Eco Award. We are constantly improving our service, we offer you good value for your money, and we are the best choice for the independent traveller.
- We offer you a very good cheetah and leopard sightseeing tours based on 30 years of experience. We get very good feedback from our clients.
- Close to Windhoek (50km, on the new A1 direction Etosha, Exit D1499/Okapuka) and the International Airport (90km).
- Centrally situated to all tourist attractions in Namibia.
- We offer you an interesting combination of different attractions and activities: a game drive, leopard and cheetah viewing and a scenic mountain drive into the Khomas Hochland with the chance of seeing the seldom-seen Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra.
- Well-marked walking trails, horseback rides with game viewing and a rich birdlife. Can you imagine seeing a giraffe on horseback from 10 or 20 meters or even closer?
- We have a beautifully situated old farm house with its historic ambience, family atmosphere and a fantastic view overlooking the riverbed and drinking spot for the game.
- We have a large swimming pool with palm trees and a newly renovated thatched lapa with a small bar and game-viewing deck also overlooking the riverbed.
- As a visitor to a guest farm, you support the local community (economical) and support the nature conservation program. The natural wildlife and endangered species need your support. Any additional support you can give to endangered species through a donation.
- Last but not least: At Düsternbrook Guest Farm you can expect a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and our individual attention lets you feel at home.